A damaged Catholic chapel in Compostela Valley in the southern Philippines
Church leaders and the International Red Cross have appealed for more help for victims of Typhoon Bopha which devastated several provinces in the southern Philippines earlier this week, reports Ucanews.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said on Friday that almost 500 people have been killed and 400 others are still missing.
Father Anton Pascual, executive director of Caritas Manila, said Manila archdiocese will double donation collection for relief and rehabilitation efforts.
Pascual said the archdiocese’s social action arm has already sent financial aid to dioceses in Mindanao worst hit by the typhoon.
He said at least $7,000 has been sent to the Tagum and Tandag dioceses, while about $5,000 was sent to Butuan.
Archbishop Angel Lagdameo of Jaro, Bishop Arturo Bastes of Sorsogon and Bishop Honesto Ongtioco of Cubao said they have already asked their priests to hold collections for typhoon victims during Mass starting from Sunday.
The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has also made an urgent appeal for funds to support relief and recovery efforts for thousands of families affected by the typhoon.
FULL STORY Church's urgent appeal for typhoon victims (Ucanews)
Typhoon damage looks like tsunami, says CRS (CNS)
Caritas concern over Philippines typhoon