Coronavirus clusters are spreading through Victoria's aged care homes and hospitals, infecting healthcare workers, vulnerable patients and elderly residents. Source: The Age.
Brunswick Private Hospital in Melbourne’s inner north remains closed for new admissions after four patients and a healthcare worker tested positive to the virus yesterday.
Contact tracing is also under way after outbreaks in four Melbourne aged care homes in 24 hours.
A Mercy Health aged care worker who provides services to elderly residents in their homes was also among the new cases of coronavirus reported in Victoria and was isolating at home.
Mercy Health said the worker had no symptoms prior to testing. It was working with government contact-tracers to identify who else might be at risk.
A staff member at the Doutta Galla Lynch’s Bridge nursing home in Kensington may have unknowingly exposed elderly residents to the virus after attending work on July 2 and 3 while infectious.
A resident has tested positive at the Glendale Aged Care facility in Werribee in the city’s west, while a staff member who worked at the Uniting AgeWell facility in Preston has also tested positive.
An employee at Baptcare Karana age care facility in Kew has been infected, but the Health Department said they did not work while infectious.
A doctor at Melbourne’s St Vincent’s Hospital tested positive, sending 15 staff into quarantine after potential exposure, while a rehabilitation patient at the Epworth Hospital in Hawthorn was also infected with the virus.
A cluster at the Northern Hospital’s emergency department in Epping, which emerged last week, has infected nine staff so far.