Thousands of South Australians are expected to demonstrate their opposition to abortion legislation currently before state Parliament at the Walk for Life 2021 rally on February 6. Source: The Southern Cross.
Following last year’s successful event which attracted an estimated 3,500 participants, organisers are confident that more people will attend this year due to serious concerns over the proposed legislation which would enable abortion up to birth with the approval of two doctors.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, talks on Parliament House steps are not feasible this year, but walkers will follow a loop from Pennington Gardens around Parliament House and return to Pennington Gardens for addresses by community leaders.
Alan Tyson, from 40 Days for Life, said the Termination of Pregnancy Bill 2020 was listed for discussion in South Australia’s House of Assembly on February 2, but it was hoped a vote would not take place then.
The bill was narrowly passed by the Legislative Council late last year.
“We are hoping to have more participants for the 2021 Walk for Life than in 2020, to send a strong message to our parliamentarians,” he said.
“But it is important that we also encourage as many Catholics as possible to write to Lower House MPs, even if they have written previously.”
Thousands expected to walk for life (By Jenny Brinkworth, The Southern Cross)